French Toast Casserole is also known as bread pudding. It’s the perfect weekend breakfast option. It is the bread that has been soaked in sweet and creamy custard and baked to perfection. The bread’s edges become crispy, and the interior stays soft and custardy. This is a simpler way to cook French toast than in a skillet. It also makes it easy to use up any leftover bread. Win-win! Let me show you how it works.
IS BREAD PUDDING PERFECT FOR BREAKFAST?
You can find many, many versions of bread pudding. Some are even more decadent. It’s often served as a dessert in many southern restaurants, usually with a rich bourbon sauce. This is the version that I used to eat for breakfast as a child. It uses milk instead of heavy cream and has fewer eggs and less sugar. Applesauce is added to the custard to make it lighter and more breakfast-oriented. It is still a sweet and special occasion breakfast.
WHAT KIND OF BREAD TO USE FOR BREAD PUDDING
For bread pudding, it is important to use hearty bread and not a loaf of sandwich bread. A soft bread will not toast well and break down in the custard. Bread pudding is a great way to use any leftovers from Italian bread, baguettes or other artisan loaves. If you don’t have enough bread leftover from one loaf, you can cut it up and put it in a freezer bag. You can then save the bread for when you have more.
WHAT ELSE CAN YOU ADD?
This bread pudding’s classic apple cinnamon flavour is a great foundation to add more flavour. A few walnuts, pecans, or dried cranberries can be added to the bread pudding. You can add a chopped fresh apple to your bread pudding for more texture. You can top your bread pudding by adding a caramel drizzle or cream cheese frosting if you prefer dessert.
APPLE CINNAMON BROW PUDDING
Apple Cinnamon Bread Pudding, also known as French Toast Casserole, is a sweet and rich breakfast treat or dessert after dinner.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 6 cups bread pieces ($1.98)
- Two cups of milk ($0.80).
- 4 large eggs ($0.84)
- 1.5 cups applesauce, divisée ($0.89)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract ($0.28)
- 1/3 cup sugar ($0.11)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon ($0.10)
- 2 Tbsp Butter ($0.18)
- 1/3 cup raisins (optional) ($0.36)
- Preheat the oven to 325oF Slice or tear the bread into 1-inch pieces if it isn’t already cut.
- To dry the bread slightly, spread the pieces of bread on a baking sheet. Let the bread cool down for a while to let any steam escape.
- The apple cinnamon custard can be made while the bread is baking in the oven. Mix the milk, eggs and 1 cup of applesauce in a large bowl. Add the vanilla extract, sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Place the bread in a large bowl. Add the raisins and then drizzle the apple cinnamon custard on top. Mix well and let the bread soak for 15 minutes to absorb the custard.
- In the meantime, heat 1 tablespoon butter to butter the interior of a 2-quart casserole dish. Spread the soaked bread evenly in the casserole dish. The bread pudding can be topped with butter by chopping the remaining butter into small pieces.
- Bake, the bread pudding for 45 mins or until it, reaches 160oF.
- Place the remaining 1/2 cup of applesauce in small dollops over the bread pudding after removing it from the oven. Serve warm.