Sweet corn is my favourite thing about summer. Fresh sweet corn is so delicious and juicy. The husks are so fragrant and bring back memories of summers gone by. This is how I made this Summer Sweet Corn Salad. The salad includes a variety of colourful vegetables and pasta. A super fresh lemon vinaigrette makes it light and delicious. This recipe is very adaptable, and I have a few modifications!
MAKE IT PASTE-FREE
I used pasta in my salad for bulk, but this salad can be made without pasta. Double the vegetables and drizzle the lemon vinaigrette on top. The vegetable salad can be eaten as-is or tossed with greens.
Add a protein to make it a meal.
This salad can be served as a main course or a side dish with grilled chicken, rotisserie chicken and boiled shrimp. This light, fresh dish pairs well with seafood and lighter meats.
CAN RAW CORN BE EATEN??
Yes, yes, and YES! Raw sweet corn tastes so sweet and crisp. It is a delight! It gives the salad a nice sweetness that contrasts well with the creamy avocado, tangy vinaigrette and creamy avocado.
This salad can be made with frozen corn if you don’t have it fresh. But, it will taste 100 times better when you use fresh sweetcorn.
DON’T THE AVOCADO TAKE A TURN TO BLACK?
Nope! This salad was delicious even after being kept in the fridge for four days. The avocado chunks looked the same on day two. They were slightly greyed at the edges by day four but looked fantastic. The lemon vinaigrette helps to prevent the oxidization that can cause colour changes.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SWEET CORN SALAD
This salad is a great side dish for Quick BBQ Chicken or Cilantro Lime Chicken.
SUMMERSWEET CORN SALAD
This light and refreshing Summer Sweet Corn Salad is made with colourful summer vegetables, creamy avocado, pasta shells and a homemade lemon vinaigrette.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1/4 cup olive oil ($0.64)
- 1 fresh lemon ($0.89)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil ($0.03)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard ($0.04)
- 1/8 tsp salt ($0.02)
- 1/8 tsp pepper ($0.02)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley ($0.20).
- 8 oz. pasta shells ($0.63)
- 2 sweet corn cobs ($0.80)
- 1-pint grape tomatoes ($2.50)
- 2/3 lb. zucchini ($0.89)
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion ($0.11)
- 1 avocado ($0.89)
- Juice the lemon. You will need 1/2 tsp of zest and 2 Tbsp of juice. Combine the lemon juice, olive oil, basil, and Dijon in a bowl. Add the chopped parsley. Mix the ingredients in a bowl or shake the jar until well combined. Set aside the vinaigrette.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. The pasta should be added to the boiling water with a few large pinches of salt. Boil the pasta for 7 minutes more, then drain it in a colander. Let the pasta drain in a colander.
- Prepare the rest of your vegetables while the pasta is cooked and drained. Cut the kernels of corn off the cobs. Slice the grape tomatoes in half. Dice the zucchini and onion. Dice the avocado.
- After the pasta has cooled and been drained, place it in a large bowl and the vegetables. Toss the pasta with the dressing, and then mix it well. Add a pinch of salt to your liking, and then serve.
*Vegetable amounts can be adjusted. It’s fine to have more or less of anyone vegetable.
Serving Size: 1 Cup Calories: 255.84 Kilocalories Carbohydrates are 35.68 G Protein: 5.95 G Fat: 11.54 G Sodium: 68.91 M Fiber: 4.28 Gr