Last weekend was finally the day we could carve our pumpkins. I was able to make my favourite fall dessert! While carving pumpkins is fun and rewarding, the best part is roasting pumpkin seeds. The roasted pumpkin seeds are delicious and addicting! I look forward each year to roasting them.
Don’t worry if your pumpkin seeds have been thrown out. This same process can be used for seeds of other winter squashes, such as acorn, delicata and butternut. Enjoy your squash for the next few months, and make sure you also enjoy the seeds!
CAN YOU EAT SHELLS?
Pepitas are the tender green inside of the pumpkin seeds. The outer white shell of the pumpkin seeds (or hull) remains when you take them out of the pumpkin. This outer shell, which is tough and fibrous but edible, is still there. Roasted pumpkin seeds can be difficult to chew.
What do ROASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS taste like?
The aroma and flavour of roasted pumpkin seeds are similar to that of fresh popcorn. It pairs well with sweet and savoury flavours.
HOW TO FAVOR ROASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS
Roasted pumpkin seeds are versatile and can be flavoured with almost anything. Cajun seasoning salt was used in this recipe. However, there are so many other options. These are some great ways to season your roasted pumpkin seeds.
- Curry powder
- Garlic Herb Seasoning
- Taco Seasoning
- Ranch seasoning (if it contains buttermilk powder): Toss the seeds in melted butter and then season after baking.
- Cinnamon and sugar (toss the seeds in melted butter, cinnamon and sugar after roasting).
- Salt and freshly cracked pepper
- Seasonings for Italian cuisine
Check to make sure your seasoning mix contains salt. Salt will be added to any seasoning blend that does not contain salt.
HOW TO STORE ROASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS
Allow the pumpkin seeds to cool completely after roasting. The pumpkin seeds should be kept at room temperature in an airtight container for 2 to 3 weeks. You don’t need to refrigerate them unless you have tossed them in butter after roasting.
ROASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS
The pumpkin carving process yields a deliciously crunchy side effect: roasted pumpkin seeds. This is a quick, delicious, and easy fall treat!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 2.5 cups of fresh pumpkin seeds
- 1 Tbsp of cooking oil
- 1 tsp Tony Chachere’s Cajun Seasoning*
- Preheat the oven to 350oF. Clean the pumpkin seeds with a colander. Place the washed pumpkin seed in a dishcloth that is not lint-free and dry it.
- Add the dried, washed pumpkin seeds to a bowl. Season with the cooking oil. Mix the seeds until they are coated. Spread the pumpkin seeds on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- The pumpkin seeds should be roasted in the oven for 5-10 minutes until they turn golden brown. The size and moisture of the pumpkin seeds will affect the roasting time. Let the pumpkin seeds cool before you can enjoy them!
*Use your favourite seasoning mix (see the notes above for more seasoning ideas).
Serving: 0.25 Cup Calories: 78 Kcal Carbohydrates 1.69 G Protein: 3.43 G Fat: 7.05G Sodium: 138.07Mg Fiber: 0.75G